Thread: Write Conflict - Phantom Error ???

Question Write Conflict - Phantom Error ???

Hi,

Our set-up uses Access97 and Access2002 as user front ends to our SQL Server2000 backend. We've had this set-up for about 6 years now.

A problem has developed with One Table, the rest appear to be fine.

For the problem table, we cannot edit a record using the Access front ends. We get the "Write Conflict" message box, "The record has been changed by another user since you started editing it....". The "Save Record" button is always greyed out, only the "Copy to Clipboard" and "Drop Changes" options are available.

I can edit records for the table within SQL Server (Enterprise Manager), and Windows Server Manager shows me there are no real accounts connected to conflict with, so I know there can't be an actual "Write Conflict".

I've tried dropping and reattaching the offending table, I've waited until the regular scheduled maintenance and repair routines have run hoping they'd fix it, and I've tried modifying the table hoping the fresh save would jog it into behaving. Nothing worked.

Would anybody have any suggestions that might help ?

Thanks.

Hi,

To update things, it appears the problem only manifests when somebody is directly in the table (via Access) and manually editing a record. If I do an Update Query in Access, then it will execute the query and update without complaining. The records that were updated by the query become "unlocked" and I can subsequently do a manual update on those records, but the other 100,000 records remain as before.

I guess I can live with that but it's still very puzzling and worrying to me why this should be so.

Cheers ...