Thread: What-if Analysis/simulation on the data cube

What-if Analysis/simulation on the data cube

Hi friends,

We are using SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition. I had a requirement to provide users 'what-if analysis/simulation' on the multidimension data cube(MOLAP). I have searched in net to find out a solution for this but couldn't get any solution. Is there is any tool(third party tool is also fine) which can provide this functionality.

And also want to know if there is any possibility to partially process the cube based on one dimension(as processing the entire cube consumes a lot of time every time). If it is possible, pls let me know how is it possible.

Any help/suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sagar.

Many Approaches - Even Without External Tools ...

You can always:

- create measure groups based upon "budget codes" (Actual, Budget, Forecast, etc.) within the same Analysis Services cube (taking numbers from a copy of the fact table created to hold them, etc. - with appropriate granularity in place, of course);
    - create a separate cube, identical in structure to the "Actual" cube, but for budget / forecast numbers (taken, again, from a copy of the fact table created to hold them, etc. - with appropriate granularity in place), which you can then pull into a report containing data from both (to do variance analysis, etc.);

- other approaches, all within the same cube.

Regarding dimensional processing, you can process single dimensions already. Smply right-click the selected dim in the Solution Explorere, and clieck "Process..." frpm the context menu that appears.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Bill