Thread: Setting a specific time

Elizabeth Thomas Guest

Setting a specific time

I`m developing a library catalog in SQL server with a Cold Fusion front end, and I`m having some trouble with setting due dates for books when they get checked out. Most items in the library are due in a week, a month, etc., so it is easy to calculate the due date. However, we have a number of items that are due at the end of the working day.

So, I need to find a way to calculate "the next 5 PM", no matter what time of day it is, and store it in a datetime field? Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Elizabeth S. Thomas
    Technical Librarian
    MAJIQ, Inc.
    ELizabeth_Thomas@majiq.com

Don Romano Guest

Setting a specific time (reply)

You could check the current time (getdate()) and if the hour is past 5:00 p.m. (DATEPART(hour,getdate()) > 17) then add one to the date, if not then use the date and add 5:00 p.m. to the date. If the day of the week is Friday (assuming that is the last working day of the week) you could add 3 days and tack on 5:00 p.m. at the end of the date. You can use DATENAME(weekday, getdate()) or DATEPART(weekday,getdate()) to get the day of the week.

On 8/13/98 1:39:13 PM, Elizabeth Thomas wrote:
    > I`m developing a library catalog in SQL server with a Cold Fusion front
    > end, and I`m having some trouble with setting due dates for books when they
    > get checked out. Most items in the library are due in a week, a month,
    > etc., so it is easy to calculate the due date. However, we have a number of
    > items that are due at the end of the working day.

So, I need to find a
    > way to calculate "the next 5 PM", no matter what time of day it is, and
    > store it in a datetime field? Any ideas?

Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Elizabeth S. Thomas
    Technical Librarian
    MAJIQ,
    > Inc.
    ELizabeth_Thomas@majiq.com