Thread: Drillthrough to underlying dimension tables

Drillthrough to underlying dimension tables

Hi all,

I've just finished porting a number of SQL 2000 cubes into 2005 and discovered the new implementation of drillthrough, in that you now drill down to the dimension attributes rather than directly to the underlying database table. Mostly this is not a problem, I understand the reasons why the designers have done this and have configured my drillthrough actions to suit.

However, there are a couple of data items that I'd like to expose via drillthrough (client address fields), but without the overhead of making them dimension attributes which will need processing to update (reasonably) regularly.

I don't see the point of making the address part my client dimension as it's not something you can aggregate on and contributes to processing overhead. However, it was useful in 2000 to be able to drillthrough to the underlying table to get the data. Is there an easy way to do this in 2005? I would guess there would be some sort of Action I could write with some embedded SQL in it, but I'm not really sure where to start.

One of the Analysis Services tutorials on here says that it can be done, but doesn't say how :-( Any pointers greatly appreciated

Cheers
    PSB1

Options ...

A Reporting Action, to drive a report that uses the address data source; a Rowset Action, perhaps, to run a query across the data source containing the address info, or perhaps doing something similar to what I do in the second perspective in this AS 2000 article (just using SSIS vs. DTS, but the concepts might still be applicable to your need):

Introduction to MSSQL Server 2000 Analysis Services: Drilling Through to Details: From Two Perspectives

Let us know of your progress, or if you have further questions.

Thanks.

Bill