Thread: Embedded Database

Embedded Database

Hi Group,

I am working on a Calendaring application and this application has a requirement for Desktop client also. This application also has a web interface and so will have a server where the core calendar data of the user will be saved.
    For the desktop client, I am thinking of using an embedded database for local data persistence. This is required so that user can also work in the offline mode.
    As I do not have much DB experience, I am confused about which embedded DB should I go for. I have found following 3 DBs

- HSQLDB
    - Apache Derby
    - Java DB

My application is supposed to run on MAC, Windows & Linux platform. Also, desktop application's data will sync with the server application's data for uniformity of user's calendar data.

I will highly appreciate if someone can guide me about which embedded DB will be best bet for my application's requirements. Application is being developed in Java 5.

Best Regards,
    Nitin Gupta

Hi Nitin

If you are prepared to manage with 2 different systems (one big robust DMBS on the server and a different one on the desktops), maybe you could have a look at SQLite. It has really little footprint, is really fast and in my opinion could match your needs.
    binaries exist for the 3 target OS you have in mind and wrappers are available for many languagaes.

Regards

Hi Letof,

I am new to desktop applications. Can you also suggest some best pracices which I can use to hanlde data persistence on the desktop application. Yes, I also have a server application. There will be a preodic data reconciliation between the 2 applications.
    Please let me know your opinion on how best we can handle the problem.

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative.

Regards,
    N