Thread: Need help with inSTR (Access) CharIndex (SQL)

Hybrid View

What is the outcome you need from this? It looks like you are trying to find "descrip" somewhere in a field named productDescrip. Once you find "descrip" what do you want to happen? Please don't discribe the coding, but what you want to happen within the productDescrip field.

The reason I ask this is because I could not figure out from your code what you want to do.

this is what I want

I have a memo field with a long text, but I need make a search only in the text before a mark like >, I don't want look up thru all the text, so I need the position for an especific character to cut the text and find only in the substring.
    For instance, in this replay I wanna look for the word "memo", but only in the next substring:

"I have a memo field with a long text, but I need make a search only in the text before a mark like"

and if the string to find is "substring" there is no results because the word "substring" is not in the text "I have a memo field with a long text, but I need make a search only in the text before a mark like"

thank for your help, my language is not English, I apologize any error or misunderstanding.

I forgot say that the query with charindex works fine in SQL Server, but I am using access database on internet and I am sending my query from asp code in a Windows platform IIS

Do you need to "escape" the ">" when doing this w/ asp/html?

Example... in CGI/Perl if I am passing an email address I need to insert a \ before the @ - username\@domain.com

What means escape

hi, thanks for answer... but, I don't understand what do you mean with "escape", I only need catch the position of the first "<br>" in the whole text to can restraint the string in where I want look up.