Thread: SQL Server Installation - Express or Standard??

Question SQL Server Installation - Express or Standard??

Hi,

As you will see from my question I am new to the world of SQL Server.

I was wondering if there is a way to install SQL Server 2005 standard edition on a network and/or desktop connected to the network.

I have an Access 2000 database backend that I would like to convert over to SQL Server 2005 backend. The forms, reports, etc. on the front end would remain the same until I work on developing a new Visual Studio Express web-based front end. My supervisor is quite "possessive" of the departmental data and I was hired so that we can have more control over the database by keeping it local to our group. The problem with installing it on the company server (or using the company's copy of SQL Server) is that I would not have unique control over the administration/development of the database and I would have to send my requests through a series of individuals to get anything done. Am I way off in asking this question?

Another thought that I have is to use the express edition. I know it's limited to 2 GB but our database is only 30 MB and I don't anticipate it growing to even 1 GB for a few years. Is the express edition better equipped for a departmental set-up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you don't need features not available in sql server express, it's ok to use that freeware. By the way, db size limit is 4gb in sql server express.

Question

Can I also use the standard edition? Also, can I install either on a network drive instead of the company server?

You can use standard edition if you have licenses. And can intstall it on server if you have permission to do so, but sql puts db on local storage (either local disk or san). Sql server runs as service on the machine, so it's different from access. Not just put db file somewhere and let people load it.