Thread: Web Site; ASPdb.Net + Vista; No More DotNet 1.1

Web Site; ASPdb.Net + Vista; No More DotNet 1.1

We are informed by the ISP that our website front page has a funny URL= xxx in the IFRAME block. It does not do any harm and probably some advertising stuff sneaked into page. Some search engines and newer browsers think it is a phishing site and gives a warning. We fixed that and now is Ok.

We went into Vista and get the Tornado + VS2005 going. Vista is really a desktop O/S like XP but the heavy security setup made it very difficult to work as a Web development tool. While the Classic ASP, ASP-db works, the DCOM components has so much security and it is not getting through. You cannot copy a file into the dir without the system telling you that the file does not belong to you. You have to run the development stuff in administrative mode and if you forget to do that, you spent the whole day figuring out what is wrong. IIS has be run in a compatibility mode for VS to work. Trying to install Vista in upgrade mode is a disaster, do not do that - install a clean copy and build it up. Looks like we have to wait for SP2 like XP before everything work. I'll compose a ASP-db + Vista write-up to provide some pain relief.

We plan to drop the DotNet 1.1 and provide 2.0 versions beginning the next release. Let me know if there is any problem with that.

Frank

Dual development using Vista + XP and ASP-db

After playing with Vista a bit more, I discovered that I can use one logon session to perform the XP (Classic and DotNet 1.1) and Vista (DotNet 2.0) development. I can put the entire XP in the Virtual PC 2007 on my left screen and Vista on the right. After I compiled the 1.1 DLLs via a bat file, the DLLs will be saved in the shared drive mixed with the Vista 2.0 compiled DLLs. After loading the VM additions, the cursor works in both the XP and the Vista screen. It is really a cool feature. If you are developing in both XP and Vista environment, give it a try!! A lot of the media programs do not work in Vista and you can avoid buying the upgrades by running them in the XP VM. Oh, the VM has a saved state such that you can continue from where you left off last time when you start the VM. You cannot do that with the real thing! But get ready to get more memory and hard disk space to run both. I have an AMD 4800, 2 GB of Ram, a low end 7600 graphic dual DVI screens 1600x1200 and the overall performance is very acceptable. My Vista performance is 4.5.

Finally, the Virtual PC 2007 is FREE !!!

Frank