Thread: Querying large text fields resulting in timeout error

Querying large text fields resulting in timeout error

Hello:

I have designed a CV database with complete CV stored in a TEXT field. There is a keyword search which queries the TEXT field also. The query conditions are defined in T-SQL submitted through an ASP page. There is about 20,000 records now. Now while querying the database for keyword search I am receiving time out errors. Is there any solution other than Index server to rectify this situation. How can I speed up the query execution time. Please advise.

Rgds
    pooja

How are you searching the text field without having Full Text build on the column?.

If you don't want to manage full text index then you will need to increase timeouts both in SQL Server and application server.

He,

thanks for the reply. I am not using Full Text search. Now I am increasing the timeouts when an issue is reported.

Would you advise to go for a Full text search to handle keyword search on TEXT fields. Will it decrease the query execution time. Can I live with this for any nymber of records.

Your support would really help me to rectify this issue.

Rgds
    pooja

Try full text index, should be faster. And it's not related to number of rows in the table.