Thread: External entity handling database tables

External entity handling database tables

Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether it is possible to integrate an external entity into MS SQL Server in following way:
    • the entity defines certain set of tables
    • when user performs a query on one of these tables, the query is sent to the entity for processing and results are returned back to SQL server (and to client)

I thought integration services could be used for this task, but I'm quite unfamiliar with MS SQL server, so I don't know whether it would be a feasible solution...

What kind of external entity? Objects in other sql db, on other server or something else? Checked synonyms in sql2k5?

I wrote 'external entity' as it is supposed to be external and I don't know what could it be, exactly:
    Let's say I have a COM server (or whatever else) that manages some data and defines an interface that can be used to read and write those data. Now I'd like to be able to 'see' these data in SQL database e.g. as single table and modify it via SQL queries, still having the data in COM server only - when a user looks into SQL server, he sees 'my' table and can work with its content, but this work actually means that SQL queries on the table are passed to this external something (maybe some OLE DB provider? + something else?) and through it to my COM server.

For now, I'd just like to know whether something like this is possible at all.

Don't think you can define it as sql table, but can try with linked server if have proper ole db provider.

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll check it out