Thread: Submitting email directly into mysql with php

Submitting email directly into mysql with php

Hey all!

I am using mysql 5 and an apache webserver with php. All of my systems are Solaris.

What I would like to do is to have emails that are sent to a particular email address automatically dumped into my mysql database.

I have created pointers in /etc/mail/aliasess as such:

sa-prospect: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/php_pages/samail.php
    dba-prospect: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/php_pages/dbamail.php

to facilitate the initialization of this happening.

I dont know how the email is composed so that I can break it down. I only really want the body of the email to put into my "descriptions" field. I can massage the rest with default values. Does anyone know how to do this or know of a place where this is at?
    <!-- ################## -->

What I am trying to accomplish here is to have emails that the data center walls out to the group be captured to the database. And eventually add the functionality that the folks here can make requests via email and have that data also stored in the db. But that's another thread down the road 8>)

<!-- ################## -->
    Also, I have "googled" this to death and the information about this so very limited. Somebody help me please!!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks to all that respond!
    Last edited by bfulda; 02-02-2007 at 10:54 AM.

I would reckon your best option is to take a look at the composition an email in your file system using vim or something equivalent. Some mail agents will add in their own bits to emails but generally they seem to be the same.

As i said: open an email that is already on the file system and take a look at that.