Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help please

thank you for that. i will ask first think tomorrow when they open.
    Thanks again

i didnt want to just sit and wait for them to open so i went ahead and looked for more info in my account. Here's what i found.

phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2 Documentation
    SourceForge phpMyAdmin project page [ http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ ]
    Local documents:
    Version history: ChangeLog
    General notes: README
    License: LICENSE
    Documentation version: $Id: Documentation.html,v 2.177.2.3 2005/12/27 13:55:17 lem9 Exp $

REQUIREMENTS
    PHP
    You need PHP 4.1.0 or newer, with session support (*)
    If you want to display inline thumbnails of JPEGs with the original aspect ratio, you also need GD2 support in PHP
    Starting with phpMyAdmin 2.6.1, MIME-based transformations that use an external program need PHP 4.3.0 or newer
    MySQL 3.23.32 or newer (details);
    Not really a requirement but a strong suggestion: if you are using the "cookie" authentication method, having the mcrypt PHP extension on your web server accelerates not only the login phase but every other action that you do in phpMyAdmin.
    a web-browser (doh!).

INTRODUCION
    phpMyAdmin can manage a whole MySQL server (needs a super-user) as well as a single database. To accomplish the latter you'll need a properly set up MySQL user who can read/write only the desired database. It's up to you to look up the appropriate part in the MySQL manual.
    Currently phpMyAdmin can:

create and drop databases
    create, copy, drop, rename and alter tables
    do table maintenance
    delete, edit and add fields
    execute any SQL-statement, even batch-queries
    manage keys on fields
    load text files into tables
    create (*) and read dumps of tables
    export (*) data to CSV, XML and Latex formats
    administer multiple servers
    manage MySQL users and privileges
    check referential integrity in MyISAM tables
    using Query-by-example (QBE), create complex queries automatically connecting required tables
    create PDF graphics of your Database layout
    search globally in a database or a subset of it
    transform stored data into any format using a set of predefined functions, like displaying BLOB-data as image or download-link or ...
    support InnoDB tables and foreign keys (see FAQ 3.6)
    support mysqli, the improved MySQL extension (see FAQ 1.17)
    communicate in 50 different languages
    (*) phpMyAdmin can compress (Zip, GZip -RFC 1952- or Bzip2 formats) dumps and CSV exports if you use PHP4 >= 4.0.4 with Zlib support (--with-zlib) and/or Bzip2 support (--with-bz2).

INSTALLATION
    NOTE: phpMyAdmin does not apply any special security methods to the MySQL database server. It is still the system administrator's job to grant permissions on the MySQL databases properly. phpMyAdmin's "Privileges" page can be used for this.

Warning for Mac users:if you are on a MacOS version before OS X, StuffIt unstuffs with Mac formats.
    So you'll have to resave as in BBEdit to Unix style ALL phpMyAdmin scripts before uploading them to your server, as PHP seems not to like Mac-style end of lines character ("\r").

QUICK INSTALL
    Untar or unzip the distribution (be sure to unzip the subdirectories): tar -xzvf phpMyAdmin_x.x.x.tar.gz in your webserver's document root. If you don't have direct access to your document root, put the files in a directory on your local machine, and, after step 3, transfer the directory on your web server using, for example, ftp.
    Ensure that all the scripts have the appropriate owner (if PHP is running in safe mode, having some scripts with an owner different from the owner of other scripts will be a problem). See FAQ 4.2 for suggestions.
    Create the file config.inc.php in your favorite editor and fill in there values for host, user, password and authentication mode to fit your environment. Look at config.default.php how these fields should be defined. Here, "host" means the MySQL server. Have a look at Configuration section for an explanation of all values. Please also read the remaining of this Installation section for information about authentication modes and the linked-tables infrastructure.
    If you are using the config auth_type, it is suggested that you protect the phpMyAdmin installation directory, for example with HTTP–AUTH in a .htaccess file. See the multi–user sub–section of this FAQ for additional information, especially FAQ 4.4.
    Open the file <www.your-host.com>/<your-install-dir>/index.php in your browser. phpMyAdmin should now display a welcome screen and your databases, or a login dialog if using HTTP or cookie authentication mode.

is this the version i need to download to my pc local disk ?
    MySQL 3.23.32 or newer
    Last edited by LuisMartins; 01-07-2007 at 11:02 PM.

i own this program :
    Navicat MySQL 7.2.9
    is this what i need ?

i am pretty sure that 5.0 is the newest version of mysql.

not sure what navicat is...but google tells me it is an admin tool for mysql. you'll still need the db engine... see here

may try posting on this forum i know there are some pretty good mysql/php guys on that forum...

or in mysql section right here

hope this helps a bit

thanks for that. but i think my hosting already has a db engine. i will find out tomorrow when they open. if not, i will come over here and post again where u adviced me. thanks again

You still need db engine to build db and do testing work.

ok, i am having a huge issue with bluefishhosting.com customer services, and i am real pissed. I have been trying to call them the whole day and all i get is a voicemail, but comming to realize, i have been trying to contact them since last tuesday, so it is almost a week now. They are really helpfull, but for some reason i think there's only two guys working in there, Craig and James . I left messages and emails and until now, got nothing. So, yes, i have a problem, i need to keep going with my website. How can i find out what db version they are running ? And what Mysql version to download to my pc ?
    PLease help, if you can.

www.bluefishhosting.com, i looked but can't see it.

thanks again

Can't tell unless get on to their db server.

i dont mind giving you my username and password to get in if you dont mind ?