Thread: Oracle Standby server

Question Oracle Standby server

Dear All
    i have seen an document from Mr. Sreeram Surapaneni and was great but only thing is i have been using MS SQL Server all this time, and have to work on Oracle for some good reeson, we have two servers where one is primary server and second would be logical standby can some provide us with detailed document HOW TO CREATE LOGICAL STANDBY WITH ORACLE 10G on WINDOWS 2003 SERVER, if there is any cost envolved its not an problem.
    thanks and regards
    Moiz Mithiya

Oracle Standby Server

The document written by Mr. Sreeram Surapaneni has detailed steps to create a logical standby database using dataguard. Go through the same and let me know if you have any specific question(s) on that.

There are many white papers on technet.oracle.com on this subject. Cost depends on type of license you have for Oracle.

Dear Rudra
    Thanks for your kind response, we have below questions for you.
    I have prepared two system for the testing and I have installed windows 2003 servers on it.

1. On both the system ORACLE SID has to be same or Different
    2. all the table in an database has to have primary key ?
    3. Do I need to share some folders and create users on windows level or every thing will be done at Oracle level.
    4. I am using Oralce 10G R2, do I decide on location of archive logs and is it has to be same on primary and standby server.
    5. What do you mean by this Configure the Listener for Both the Primary and Standby Databases and Restart/reload the listener(s).

regads
    Moiz

I just finished setting up some logical standby's in 10gR2.

I found Chapters 3 & 4 in the Oracle Data Guard
    Concepts and Administration 10g Release 2 (10.2) Manual to be more accurate and up-to-date than the Surapaneni article. We did our logical's in Unix and deplyed the LGWR directly instead of using the archive log switch.