Thread: help, my server freeze!

help, my server freeze!

Hi,
    I created a blank databse and started copying over tables from an existing database. I forgot to limit the transaction log file so it grew so big (10 GB). when I realized it, i turned on the autoshrink. after that, i cannot even see the databases in the enterprises manager anymore. it freezes everytime i tried to open them. i tried to backup log, but it said another process was running. so i assumed the autoshrink was running. i tried to turn off the autoshrink using sp_dboption but the query ran for 14 hours and didn't give me anything. i tried to detach the database but it said the databse is in use. what should i do now? i want to delete the new database and start from beginning. another question: i have 1 old database and 1 live database. i want to update tables in the old db with the live data but when i imported them it gave error message saying 'duplicate'. how do i skip the duplicate data when i import the live data?
    thanks in advance,
    lisa

Enterprise Manager may have frozen because of blocking on tempdb tables. You can see that from Query Analyzer.

Did you try to kill the auto shrink the job?

You can kill all the connections from Query Analyzer and detach the database.

i tried killing the autoshrink using this:
    USE master
    EXEC sp_dboption 'dbname', 'autoshrink', 'FALSE' -> is it correct?

how do i kill all connections from Query Analyzer?

Run 'sp_wh2 active' in query analyzer to find out spid of the process then you can kill the process with 'kill spid'.

For copy data between tables, try something like following if both table have same schema:

insert into tableb1 select * from table2 where table2_key_column not in (select table1_key_column from table1)

Thanks for your reply.
    when i used Kill SPID, it said only user processes can be killed. is there any way to kill system process?
    do you know how to use kill database method? can i delete an active database using this method?
    thanks.

No, you can't kill system process nor delete used db without restarting sql.

i tried this:
    "use master
    ALTER DATABASE baandbfromGB_RDBAAN SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE"
    but it keeps running for hours and i had to stop it.
    i even tried dropping the tables but it kept running too.
    is there any way i can delete this database?

I was so dumb. I just need to stop the Service and the Agent, and I was able to delete the files.
    Thanks for your help..