Thread: Detecting commits

Marc Gilbert Guest

Detecting commits

Is there a TSQL function or value that is assigned to some sort of internal variable when part of a distributed transcation commits? If so, how do I access it?
    Marc

Don Romano Guest

Detecting commits (reply)

Hi Marc,

What do you mean by "part of a distributed transcation commits? "? I assume you mean one of the sub-transactions involved in the global distributed transactions.

From Books OnLine:

"The statements included between BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION and COMMIT TRANSACTION can include nested pairs of BEGIN TRANSACTION and COMMIT TRANSACTION statements. The transactions are not committed until the outermost transaction is committed. The nesting level of transactions is stored in the @@TRANCOUNT global variable. Each call to BEGIN TRANSACTION increases the outstanding transaction count by one."

You might review @@TRANCOUNT to see if this helps. @@TRANCOUNT specifies the number of active transactions for a connection so perhaps it will increase and decrease based on BEGIN TRANSACTIONS and COMMIT TRANSACTIONS within the distributed transaction and allow you know know where you are within the process.

Don

On 8/10/98 5:37:53 AM, Marc Gilbert wrote:
    > Is there a TSQL function or value that is assigned to some sort of internal
    > variable when part of a distributed transcation commits? If so, how do I
    > access it?
    Marc