Thread: Is there a tool for creating database schemas from SQL 2000?

Question Is there a tool for creating database schemas from SQL 2000?

Be gentle, I'm new!

We have three databases running on SQL 2000 and would like a visual database schema. We'd rather not do it by hand.

The free-er, the better!

Thanks in advance

Rajendrakumar Varsani

You can get a diagram in SQL Server Enterprise Manager. It is under the database, right click it and create a new diagram, select all the tables you want to include, and there you have it for free.

Or Do It with SQL Server 2005

You could also get a copy of MSSQL Server 2005 (Beta / CTP September is avaialble free at the Microsoft site), and then perform a "side-by-side" installation. Once 2005 is in place, you can use a killer new tool called the Schema Generation Wizard, which generates a schema at the touch of a button, once you're pointed at the 2000 database (it's non-invasive, and leaves it as 2000, btw, unless you choose to upgrade as an entirely different process) - just like "reverse engineer" database diagramming in Visio!

Another excellent feature (also like the Visio equivalent) - you can then repoint the wizard and recreate the database structure in a whole new database. I'm finding this to have excellent potential for deploying development designs to Test / Production, etc. etc.

I'll be publishing an article about the Schema Generation Wizard at Database Journal in the coming weeks. You can find it at my author's index:

http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1459531

Sign up for the newsletter at Database Journal for a reminder the week it publishes.

Good Luck!

Bill