Thread: Replication undoes transactions

Replication undoes transactions

Hi,

i have a publisher, a distributer and 3 subscribers all working. All created at the same time.

Today i have tried to introduce a 4 th subscriber server and replication has fallen over. Each cycle will have updates eg
    merged 75 data changes(6 inserts, 6 updates, 63 deletes, 48 resolved conflicts)
    but the next cycle will show:
    merged 55 data changes(4 inserts, 3 updates, 48 deletes, 37 resolved conflicts)

the 48 deletes are the conflicts from the previous cycle. this repeats hour on hour. The conflicts table is storing all of the changes but what have i done wrong in introducing the 4th server to get these symptoms? I followed the wizard all the way (may be that was it? ) i have disabled this agent now and the others are working fine again. it is merge replication although the subscriber i have added is not going to be causing any updates.

conflicts are set to be resolved automatically

OK, have got a bit closer i think.

there are identity columns in the publication that the original subsriptions are using the properties set in the Identity Range on the publication to make sure there are no conflicts. How do you get the new subscription to take up a different range of identities? the values are well appart and have plenty of space to go.

You may need reseed identity column before adding the db as subscriber.

how would i do that? Is this on the publisher or just the seed for the subscriber?

DBCC CheckIdent (TableName, RESEED, ReSeed_Value) will reseed an individual table.

What resolver are you using? The default?

How big is your identity range? And are you allowing SQL Server to manage the identity range? Are you specifying "Not For Replication" on your identity field?

Are you treating changes to the same row or changes to the same column as a conflict?

Sounds hopeful, so far.

can you confirm I run DBCC CheckIdent on the subscriber that isnt working?

The identity range is 2,000,000, with a 'restart' at 80%,
    default resolver,
    SQL Server is managing the ranges,
    not for replication is on all identities (does that stop you publishing?),
    same column changes are conflicts.

I will reseed on 4 th subscriber server since your replication works fine without it.