Thread: Weired recordset results

Weired recordset results

Hi Y'all,

I have a database in Hebrew that I'm trying to run a query against it:

SELECT `phone_record_id` , `name` , `phone` , `email` , `website` ,`location`,
    `keywords` , `advertiser` FROM `mh_phone_record` WHERE 1 AND
    (`keywords` LIKE '%øëá%' OR `phone` LIKE '%øëá%' OR `location` LIKE
    '%øëá%' OR `name` LIKE '%øëá%') AND `active` =1 ORDER BY advertiser
    DESC;

The results that I'm getting are:

phone_record_id name phone email website location keywords advertiser
    147 Ã*â - áøéÃ* 1800-355-855 www. 0
    177 äîëììä äÃ*÷ãîéú éäåãä åäùåîøåï 1800-660-660 www. Ã*øéÃ*ì 0
    200 øéáø áéæðñ Ã*éðâìéù 1800-370-037 www. 0
    238 Ã*áéø øåðï 1800-284-848 www. âæ ìîæâðé øëá 0
    239 çé ÷åø 1800-383-859 hailevy@internet-zahav.net.il www.hay-kor.co.il ú"Ã* çùîìÃ*åú øëá 0
    271 ÷.î.é áò"î 1800-200-499 www. éáåÃ*ðé øëá 0
    277 îøëæ øôåÃ*é Ã*øéÃ*ì 1800-394-555 www. øÃ*ùì"ö 0
    333 îøëáé ðåò 1800-300-099 www.merkavei-noa.co.il

As you can see, some records do have the searched string,. but NOT the first two.
    So I'm a bit puzzled as to why they are showing up.
    Note, I ran this via SSH, so it is not a PHP problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Alon

It appears to be having some symbol interpretation problems. It is mistaking similar looking letters for each other. For example, øéÃ* instead of øëá.

Originally posted by Rawhide
    It appears to be having some symbol interpretation problems. It is mistaking similar looking letters for each other. For example, øéÃ* instead of øëá.
    I'm using mysql 4.0.24
    I was told there is a way to change the default char set in the database and then it will 'smart' enough to tell the difference.

However, I've not been able to find how to change the char set in version 4.0.x.
    I've only seen this in 4.1.x. So can you suggest a workaround?

I'm using a cPanel box where they basically maintain the versions. I could upgrade it to the 4.1, but knowing that I'm going to have an issue with old_passwords scarers me. This is a production server with hundereds of domains, so that will have an amazing impact on my phone .

-Alon.

My understanding is that this option did not become available until 4.1.1.

I found the following in the documentation I have:

When sorting and comparing strings, the following mapping is performed on the strings before doing the comparison:

ä -> ae
    ö -> oe
    ü -> ue
    ß -> ss

All accented characters are converted to their unaccented uppercase counterpart. All letters are converted to uppercase.

When comparing strings with LIKE, the one-character to two-character mapping is not done. All letters are converted to uppercase. Accents are removed from all letters except Ü, ü, Ö, ö, Ä, and ä.

My understanding is that this option did not become available until 4.1.1.

I found the following in the documentation I have:

When sorting and comparing strings, the following mapping is performed on the strings before doing the comparison:

ä -> ae
    ö -> oe
    � -> ue
    � -> ss

All accented characters are converted to their unaccented uppercase counterpart. All letters are converted to uppercase.

When comparing strings with LIKE, the one-character to two-character mapping is not done. All letters are converted to uppercase. Accents are removed from all letters except �, �, Ö, ö, Ä, and ä.

OK,. that explains the comparison problem and reason behind it.
    Now.. to resolve this, what should I do?

One option is to place the burden on the application and have it do replacements of char before initiating the search pattern.
    However, going with this approach, it sounds like a resource expensive and is not very efficient.
    Another approach is to upgrade to 4.1.x, where if I understand you correctly, the char set will know what to do with the diff lang symbols and when a LIKE is issued, it will not have this problem.

Is there another approach to consider or should I pursue the upgrade option?

I appreciate you help on this.

-Alon.

Do be honest with you, I don't know. I don't know if upgrading would fix it either.

I suggest talking to the people on the forum at mysql.com. There should be some people there that can help you.

Do be honest with you, I don't know. I don't know if upgrading would fix it either.

I suggest talking to the people on the forum at mysql.com. There should be some people there that can help you.
    I appreciate your help on this.
    I ended up upgrading to version 4.1.11 (which thankfully went with no apparent problems).

So,. now the problem is narrowed down to soem mechanism that is yet to be explored.

Thanks,

-Alon.