Thread: Selecting only earliest record - Query Help

Smile Selecting only earliest record - Query Help

I'm no SQL whizz yet but I'm learning hard, and need to get some information from our DB rather urgently so have resorted to this fantastic forum, only I can't find what I'm looking for.

Basically I'm selecting a whole load of entries that have a (admission)date field after 2001, but I only want to return the Earliest (admission) for each (patients number).

Here is the script I have created to select all the data, but how can I limit the results to just the earliest (admission date) for each (patient).

SELECT
    Admission_Year, Admission_Month, Age_On_Admission, [Length of stay(continuing)], [Patient's Number], [Cons epis seq no], Sex, [Main Primary Pas Diag], [Date of Death], [Epi duration], [OP Code1], [Admission date], [Date of Death] - [Admission date] AS [days before death],[Intended Management]
    FROM dbo.Admissions
    WHERE (Admission_Year > 2001) AND (Age_On_Admission > '64') AND ([Intended Management] = 'inpatient') AND ([Date of Death] IS NULL)

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help with this, I'm sorry I can't really contribute to this forum as an SQL expert as .net is really my forte and I usually spend my time contributing to the asp.net forums.

First off, you need to find the earliest admission date for each patient. You do that by grouping on their unique patient number and selecting the Minimum admission date:

SELECT [Patient's Number], Min([Admission date]) As FirstAdmitDate
    From dbo.Admissions
    WHERE (Admission_Year > 2001) AND (Age_On_Admission > '64') AND ([Intended Management] = 'inpatient') AND ([Date of Death] IS NULL)
    Group By [Patient's Number]

Once you have that logic worked out, use it as a dynamic table and join it to your existing query.

Select Admission_Year, Admission_Month, Age_On_Admission, [Length of stay(continuing)], A.[Patient's Number], [Cons epis seq no], Sex, [Main Primary Pas Diag], [Date of Death], [Epi duration], [OP Code1], [Admission date], [Date of Death] - [Admission date] AS [days before death],[Intended Management]
    FROM dbo.Admissions A
    Inner Join (SELECT [Patient's Number], Min([Admission date]) As FirstAdmitDate
    From dbo.Admissions
    Group By [Patient's Number]) As dT On dT.[Patient's Number] = A.[Patient's Number] And dT.FirstAdmitDate = A.[Admission date]
    And Exists (Select 1 From dbo.Admissions
    Group By [Patient's Number]