Thread: Script out DTS

Angry Script out DTS

Hi guys.

We are running SQL Server 2000, and we have a few jobs that script out our schema / jobs / security and so on over night.

The problem I am having is to get the DTS packages to script out propperly.

We are currently using a ActiveX script to get the code out, and the code is fine - they work when doing a test "restore", but the comments are missing.

Does anyone have any hints, or are anyone able to point me in a direction on how to solve this?

Thanks,
    Martin

Check out an article that MAK wrote about automatically saving DTS Packages to structured files and see if that information is helpful:

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3404001
    Last edited by Rawhide; 02-02-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks for that Rawhide.

It might be a beginner’s symptom not to give all information in the initial post.

I have tried to create the structured files, and then opening them again to a test server, but there are still no original comments in the design window.

I was using DTSRUN.exe from a command prompt, but with no luck

Thanks,
    Martin

I'll do some testing tonight and see what I can fgure out.

You loose comments in DTSrun (as specified in my article. Article is mainly meant for exporting and importing DTS package[just the functionality not the comments and the way you arrange the connections and flows]).

May be in the next release. (The architecture of the DTS is different in Yukon).

Thanks for that Mak and Rawhide.

I also found this one http://www.sqldev.net/dts/SavePkgToFile.htm where he is using textcopy.exe to extract the package... haven't tested it, but will do so later tonight.

Thanks again,
    Martin

The solution form SQLDEV seems to work, but was not an alternative we are going to use.