Thread: SelectBox Suggestion

SelectBox Suggestion

Frank,

In most cases the SelectBox is populated from a table dedicated to specific criteria used within the application for data selection. In our case this data is acronyms. I have populated another column within the table with a description of the acronym, for the users benefit.

My suggestion is to have the description be part of the dropdown, as read only text. This way the user can easily view both the data and the description and upon selection save the data.

Having programmed with Borlands Delphi, I use this method often. ASPdb could use a feature like this.

What do ya think?
    Paul

How can you have a "dropdown" with read only text. Suppose the dropdown is "FK" and you want to see "FK - Frank Kwong" bu tyou want to submit FK only - correct? YOu go to show me a screen dump of the Delphi screen that does this function.

Actually, you can build the query as "FK - Frank Kwong" for the dropdown and then upon submit you can parse out the FK and discard the rest.

FK

Actually Frank, to accomplish this in Delphi I used the Woll2Woll product InfoPower 4000's "OnSelectField" which allows the select from a list of descriptive strings and the filter will automatically filter on the database field value. Having worked for Borland you should know this product. FYI, InfoPower a library of enhanced DB functions used with Borlands Delphi.

Now that I have showed and provided you with a reference that this can be done, I think it would be a nice enhancement for ASPdb. Let's go step better and maybe a bit easier for you, how about a mouse over with popup text. This woudl give you the lead for sure...

Paul

I have been away from Borland for a long time. Give me a few screen dumps so I get the idea.

Frank