Thread: ASPDBPro - ISSUE (URGENT)

ASPDBPro - ISSUE (URGENT)

Hi Frank,

Our system administrator found some problem with the new version of ASPDB component (ASPDB2003-PRO-NT4-101403.DLL). It is found that this component is utilizing high percentage of CPU and crashes the IIS server. Following is the report given by our system administrator:

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Unrelated issue "DLLHost spikes on occasions"
    Problem: On occasions, a DLLHost.exe instance on these nodes (machines) will spike to 25-75% CPU usage.
    Diagnosis: Root cause is data access done by ASP pages through the ASPDB2003-PRO-NT4-101403.DLL component. In our understanding, this component has been introduced recently and approximately since then, the problems of DLLHost spiking and Inetinfo crashing have increased.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

To give you brief on system setup:
    We have 4 nodes (machines) in AC2K (Application Center 2000) environment, with one machine as Active cluster node. All these machines are WINDOWS 2000 ADVANCED server with latest service pack installed on them. The ASPDB component (ASPDB2003-PRO-NT4-101403.DLL) is installed in Component services in all the 4 machines. There are total of 15 web applications, which use this component. We had no problem when these applications were using the older version of ASPDBPro component. After we changed the code to use the latest version of ASPDB, it is found the IIS server crashes and dllhost.exe (which runs the ASPDBPro dll) consumes upto 75% of CPU.
    We also have .NET framework (Version 1.0 and 1.1) installed on all the 4 machines.

Please treat this as URGENT issue and let us know how to correct the problem. We have to close on this as it is burning issue here. It is also brining down other web applications, which is highly used.

Frank, I have mailed the same information to Mark also, for faster reply from your side.

Regards,
    Shailesh

are you saying that no problem with W2K but problem with WS2003? The first thing is to get a version compiled with W2K instead of NT. That is step #1. Contact support for that.

On the side, if your application is runing OK in a platform (NT or W2K). What is the reason of going to a .Net framework without using the .Net version of the product (ASPdb.Net)? Do not assume that everything is backward compatible. Even .Net 1.1 is not backward compatible with 1.0!! Finally, I hope you so not mean you have 1.0 and 1.1 running side by side. If you do, that would have enough 'power' to kill your apps.

Frank

ASPDB - Issue (URGENT)

Frank,

No where I mentioned that I am using WS2003. I mentioned in my earlier message that we are using only WINDOWS 2000 ADVANCED SERVER. Also to make you clear that we are using the given ASPDB component only from ASP based web applications and not from .NET applications. We have other .NET applications hosted on these machines, so we have installed .NET framework 1.0 and 1.1.

I hope I cleared you the details of the infrstructure we have here and problem that we are getting.

Please see this.

regards,
    Shailesh

If that is the case. Where does it break from the time it works to the time it fails? Back track that one step at a time vai uninstall and you should be able to track it down. I'll compile a W2K version for you but I do not think that is the problem.

ASPDBPro - ISSUE (URGENT)

Frank,

Can we have telephone conference, so we can clear the problem? I feel we can get the solution when we discuss.

regards,
    Shailesh

time is different here.. it is 3 am..

I have already send the W2K version to support and they'll check it out before sent to you. (I'll also send one copy to you in the mail now). I have a feeling that your server setup has to do with the problem. I rememeber you have some problem with W2K adv, server in which is our primary development server since day 1. The ASP-db + NT has been stress tested numerous time and passed with flying color.

Frank