I am on a mission to at least start loading my database with information. Only problem is, I cannot seem to get past this normalization stuff. I only know what I've read from various websites. They all pretty much say the same thing. Since dbjournal, in my opinion, provides more insight than the others, maybe I can invoke some of the members to provide some wisdom to my problem.

I need to create a db for basketball events, teams, players, and stats. Tricky part is that players can play for multiple teams, as long as it's not in the same event.

So far, I have quite a few tables:

Events table,

Teams table,

Events Teams table (link the many-many tables Events and Teams),

Players table,

Team Players table (link the many-many tables from Teams and Players),

Player Stats table (link the one-many table from Players),

Gamestats table (not sure what type of table this is)

Essentially, Player Stats Table will include the fields player, team and stats. I am using an FK (team) from Players table, which uses an FK (team) from Teams table to update (team) if a player changes teams. But, if the player changes teams, all the stats will change the team field as well.

How do I update Player Stats Table field (team) without touching old stats that might have an old team under field (team)?

Whew, that took alot just to explain it. I hope someone understands, and even better, have a solution.