Thread: connection pooling

connection pooling

In IIS 6.0(on Win2k3) we are showing around 100 current sessions but we are only seeing 12 connections max on the sql box. Our whole ASP application uses the database. During the middle of the day I can look out, see everyone pounding the server but still only see the max of about 12 connections on sql server.

The problem I am seeing is our webserver CPU is getting pounded constantly at 100% where our SQL box is barely trying to work. We redid the code, made sure all objects were closed correctly, use OLE instead of ODBC connection strings, and did some other "Good practices" in asp vbscripting. We brought in a SQL "Guru" that went through and agreed that our Indexes our correct, indexes were defragging properly, etc so its not a sql issue. Since we are not running out of memory on the webserver, she started looking at IIS. She doesn't understand why we are only seeing 12 connections instead of more on sql since we usually have 100 + users running the application at the same time. Is there a setting in IIS 5(a secondary server put in to help with the load) or IIS 6 that limits the number of connections between IIS and sql server(we are using a dsn-less connection string)?

Need anymore info, let me know and I will get it for you.

DMW

your 100 connections must be the ones that hanges in there untils it times out. I think you mean current connections and not con-current connections. If the web DB access is done right then the access is in/out within a split second (connection closed) and you are not running a stored proc that goes on for a long time, the way your SQL server and your web server behaves is not abnormal at all. Unless a lot of your 100 users are writing to DB instead of reading - you should have no trouble.

Frank