Thread: Browsing Records in a Template

Browsing Records in a Template

I'm using a template from which users can view the details of a selected record. Is there a way to have a "next" button within the template that will allow users to browse records without returning to the original grid?

Use the [[FormNavBar_unit]] or [[GridNavBar_unit]] to place the Nav bar in the template. Use dbNavigationItems to produce the desired buttons.

See 'Introduction to ASP-db Template Programming' in manual.

I assume you are in Classic Mode !!

FK

I looked at the manual, and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. The example is kind of confusing. I tried putting the template tags into my html template as you said (and as shown in the example), but nothing happens. You said I needed to use dbNavigationItems, and I am for the original grid, but I'm not clear as to whether or not this needs to be modified for dispay within the template. Do I need to add another line and if so, how does that tie into [[FormNavBar_unit]] or [[GridNavBar_unit]]

Yes, I am using Classic.

Hi,

You're right. There seems to be a problem with getting the navigation bar to show in the template. It will show up if you turn on navigation in your ASP program (x.dbNavigation = "bottom") but then you get "two" of them.

We're working on it and will let you know when we have a fix available.

By the way, are you showing the data in Form or Grid mode in your template?

Thanks,
    John

I'm using a form display for my template. Thanks for your help!

Not sure which version you're running there, but try doing this:

Response.write(Session("GRIDSTABAR_unitno") )

Where you put your unit number in for unitno.

Put this AFTER the x.ASPdb call in your code. See if that fixes it. We have a version that will solve it another way, but I'm curious if that gets you going with your current version.

Thanks,
    John

I tried adding the line of code and it didn't do anything. The navigation buttons still are missing from the template. Any other suggestions?

Well, we have a version that fixes this.

Please email mark@aspdb.com and ask him for the dll that fixes the Template status bar problem and he'll help you out.

What version are you currently running? Are you under maintenance?

Thanks,
    John

I'm currently running the Gold version. I'm not sure if we're under maintenance as Paul Mancuso is not in the office today. Thanks!

Ok, well I understand you're working on renewing your maint. as soon as your budget time comes around.

Mark (in support) can send you a dll and an ID file that will expire in a couple months, and that should get you going until the paperwork catches up.

Thanks,
    John