Thread: After applying Security patch MS03-031, I lose my SQL 2K Performance Monitor counters

After applying Security patch MS03-031, I lose my SQL 2K Performance Monitor counters

This is related to an earlier post, but I found out that I was able to see SQL Server counters in Performance monitor before applying the patch, but the counters were not present afterwards....

do I need to edit the registry ?

Follow instructions in kb article q196657 to reload sql perfmon counters.

I did..but Im not sure if I followed the instructions correctly, especially since this article refers to SQL 7:

when it says "open command prompt"...do I change the directory to point to where the current sqlctr.ini resides in first ? (mine is in "d:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn") ?

then after I change the directory as mentioned above, I run "unlodctr mssqlserver"
    (should I be changing "mssqlserver" to Microsoft SQL Server" to make it SQL 2000 specific ?

then I open and close performance monitor
    then I run
    "lodctr d\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\sqlctr.ini"
    instead of instructions "lodctr c:\mssql7\binn\sqlctr.ini" because this is not where my sqlctr.ini resides in.

but when I open up performance monitor, the counters are still not there.

It worked for me on sql2k servers. It's correct to run "unlodctr mssqlserver"
    since sql service name for sql2k is mssqlserver as well, and you need restart sql service after running lodctr. Ensure you logon to server with local admin account.