Thread: -2147467259 Timeout expired

-2147467259 Timeout expired

One of my developers is getting the following error on his client machines:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server:-2147467259 Timeout expired

He says that there has been no changes in his application & I know that there has been no changes on the database, still suddenly we start getting this error.
    We are on SQL 7.0. I searched the knowldege base but did not find any particular article on this kind of problem. Any clue what might be happening or how I can check for this?
    Also, I ran a trace for the same… & it doesn’t show me any timeouts there. Is there a particular parameter that I have to trace on?

Thanks!

Seems it happened when app tries to connect to sql. How does the app connect to sql server? Any network issue there?

1. see whether Network admins changed the NIC cards and left to default setting instead of full duplex (on his machine)
    2. try to ping the server from his machine.
    3. if application uses native connection then add your database server name in the client network utility

The problem looks intermittent. They get timeout errors & then if they try again a couple of time, they are able to connect & commit… I am still trying to fing out all the answers to your questions…. Thanks for the prompt response!

The problem looks intermittent. They get timeout errors & then if they try again a couple of time, they are able to connect & commit… I am still trying to fing out all the answers to your questions…. Thanks for the prompt response!

if it is happening for a group of people or many users then check your database maintenece job (reindex).

make sure it runs many times in a week and also increase the time out option in the frontend.

what front end it is? VB or ASP or delphi or ms-acsess??

Yes it is happening for a group of people. My reindexing job runs every Sunday. I can run that again & see if that helps.
    There are no network problems reported.
    They are using an OLE DB connection string in their application…

VB front end

Try increase the time out value in OLE DB connection string.

Try increase the time out value in OLE DB connection string.
    didnt mak already make that sudgestion? or are the two of you talking about two completly different intervels that happen to control the same thing?

Brandon

i need help again.. for some time the client was not getting timeouts... now it has started again...
    the timeout parameter is already set to 90 secs!
    in the meantime i have also been running a trace trapping all exeptions & errors....at about the time the client sees a timeout,
    I get an Exception in my trace. It doesnt give me any more information except saying Exception.... is there another parameter that
    I can trace for?
    It looks like
    any thoughts/help is appreciated.

Any error in sql server log around that time?

no - nothing in sql server error log or the event log...