Thread: Newbie Help - Query Intergration

Question Newbie Help - Query Intergration

Hi

I'm new to this Access lark, and i have a limited knoweledge of MS Access.

I am currently doing a school project, which involves me designing an Access Database for a garden centre. this garden centre needs to be able to produce reports containing plants that fit certain user defined criteria.

The user will choose the following data:
    • Max Height
    • Max Width
    • Light Needed
    which will then be input into the computer.

The garden centre then need to be able to produce a report that contains the above data, plus the plants' common name, flowering period and price, and also their company header.

I am at a loss at what to do, i had a read of the How To Article about controlling Report Data, but i got lost along the way. i have a basic data table containg all the plant info, and a basic stock list report, and also a plant input/edit form.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

hi

ok so have you designed and implemented your table structure within Access yet ?

Which version of Access are you using by the way ?

Next step is to design a form that the details can be input into. The form will be bound to a query.

Can you post your table structure ?

Hi

I am running Access XP.

I already have a table containing all my data. the headers are:
    • ID (Autonumber & Primary Key)
    • Common Name
    • Latin Name
    • Height
    • Width
    • Flowering Period
    • Light Needed
    • Plant Type
    • Price

I also have a form that enables me to add/edit those details.

hope this helps

sounds like you've almost dome it then. All you need to do is the form for the user defined criteria and then feed this into a query that is behind your report.

What sort of user defined criteria form are you wanting to have ? What is the criteria you are allowing them to choose from ?

They need to be able to select a max height and width, and the amount of light needed.

the amount of light needed is easy, all i need is a drop-down box with the 4choices, but i dont know how to do the other 2, because they can be any number between 0.1M width & height & 3.5M width & height.

Thanks Again

for the other 2 can you have text boxes that allow them to enter that.

You can place validation rules on them to stop them putting in too high or to low a figure. You could also input mask them to ensure the correct number of decimal places.

yeh, i have done that, but i'm mot sure how i link those values into the report, so any plant with a max height less than or equal x and a max width less than or equal to x, and which needs x light.

Do i need to use expressions or somet?

Also, is it possible to include a button that takes them to the report, might be increadibly simple, but i cant see how.

Thanks again for all the help.

yes you can put expressions into the criteria part of a query using such things as.....

>=
    <
    >
    Between

to specify ranges

You can put things like.....

>=Forms!MyFormName!txtBox1Name AND <=Forms!MyFormName!txtBox2Name

in the criteria part of queries

If you look at OpenReport in the help file you will see it has a WHEREcondition part as one of its arguments i think. Within this you can specify ranges also.

DoCmd.OpenReport reportname[, view][, filtername][, wherecondition]

Right
    I have designed the Search Form, and also the Search report, minus the query fields.

What i'm not sure of is how to feed the input criteria into a query which then produces the report.

Thanks Again.