Thread: Retriving latest job from msdb..sysjobhistory

Retriving latest job from msdb..sysjobhistory

Hi,
    Can any one suggest me how to retrieve most recent job from msdb..sysjobhistory table?

I want to supply the job name which has more than 1 steps. Step 1 or more is already completed ( success/failure) and in the last step I am trying to retrieve sysjobhistory.messages(success/failure) stored in the sysjobhistory table for the steps already executed.
    I want the records related with last/current job executed.

Thanks.

Why don't you order by run_date and run_time

select * from msdb..sysjobhistory
    order by run_date, run_time desc

Hi,
    Actually this is a step forward in the direction of using SMTP mail server for informing job status.
    Hopw you guys now undestand what I am trying to do. My idea is I am trying to add one diagostic step in every job, which will collect all the information (failure/success) about the running job and its steps. After collecting I will build the e-mail body and send them using smtp e-mail.

Hi,
    I only want the latest specific job. When I try to retrieve a specific job, I get old information about that job.
    I can use TOP 1 or TOP2. But for different jobs number of steps are different, in that case I have to modify that for every job and if in future we add another step in the job, I have to modify this code also.

Use this to get the latest job result

select *
    from msdb..sysjobhistory sh
    join (select max(instance_id) from msdb..sysjobhistory group by job_id) as s
    on s.instance_id = sh.instance_id