Thread: SQL Server Events logged in as Windows Application Event

SQL Server Events logged in as Windows Application Event

Hello Everyone,

I am backing up my all the databases (around 50 servers and 500 database) using scheduled jobs. I backup my transaction log files at every two hours of interval and databases on daily basis.

I have set option of "Write to Windows Application Event Log" - When job fails during the creation of job in the "Notification Tab" of Create New Job.

As per documentation SQL server automatically records some of the events to windows application event log. After succesful completion of Log backup and DB backup, event gets logged in Windows Application Event Log. And when job fails, I get two events logged in the Windows Application Event Log file, one due to my setting and other automatically by SQL Server.

Due to this Windows event log file is growing much faster and I have to clear it in every 3-4 days.

My quesiton - Is there a way such that to get only failures event logged in Windows Application event log file and any successful backup jobs should not go to Windows application event file?

Can any suggest some idea what should I do?

I am using SQL Server 2000 with SP3 on Windows 2000 Advanced server. Some of my databases are still using Version 7.0/6.5 on NT.

Thanks.

I don't think you can disable logging for successful events.

For failure, the text of two messages are slightly different.

If you are worried about running out of space, you can set the maximum size for the log and select Overwrite events as needed option in Log Properties.

As skhanal said set file size limit in eventlog and enable overwriting.

And if you just want to see only the failed operations in the application log, enable the filtering in eventlog. (start-run-eventvwr-enter -right click on application - properties- filter - check "Error" and uncheck the rest.

And in SQL server error log you can recycle the error log using "DBCC errorlog"

Thanks.
    I already have filetered views for sql servers and agent...

Or start sql with -n option to disable logging to windows event log completely.

Thanks.

-n works