Thread: Append Query

Question Append Query

Is it possible to have two append queries update the same table?

Currently I have a data entry form that contains a command button that runs
    "Append Query 1" which adds new records into "Table 1". However, I have another form (which allows the user to go back into the records they entered in the data entry form and edit them) on which I want to run "Append Query 2". I want "Append Query 2" to update existing information in Table 1 (put there by Append Query 1) with the new changes the user has made.

Currently, Append Query 2 is updating the table but it is not overwriting the incorrect information. It is merely adding new rows with the new information.

How can I get Append Query 2 to over-ride the existing information in Table 1 that was originally submitted by Append Query 1?

(Hope this makes sense. Tried to make it as straight forward as I could).

if you have a unique column then you can insert the record first and note the ID and update the record based on the ID.

My question is why in the first place you cannot get all the updated information so that you can do one single insert

My thoughts exactly (doing it all at the same time) but the department requesting this database has asked that they not only have a data entry page for their administrators but also a page for edits, in case they realize they make a mistake and need to correct the information they entered on the original record.

I'm assuming that an update query would work as well?

if everything is user defined front end in the form of FORMS then you can add the update statement.