Thread: schema?

schema?

I have a branch of files from a databse. How could i see the schema of this database?

What do you mean by branch of files?

File is a physical entity and schema is a logical entity, so you can't correlate them directly.

i own some files related to an otacle 7i database. What i want is to extract the schema from these files, because i want it to create my own interface to access the database.

don't still quite know what you mean by "files" but if they are oracle data files that you just have hanging around, you can not "extract" the schema from the files directly. the structure of the schemas that may be contained within the files needs to be accessed throught the oracle data dictionary which can only be done by connecting to the database and using a schema extraction method of the form of individual sql, oracle supplied packages (not oracle7), export / import mechanisms, or a third party tool.

I have the Oracle 9i R2 enterprise edition. How can i apply the procedure you described?

Actually you can't. An Oracle Database is a set of synchronized files and you can't take a datafile and plug in into another DB.
    For instance when tables were created in your datafile, the table definition was stored in the data dictionnary which is stored in another tablespace/datafile. If you want to access one of these tables you need to access the data dictionnary first to get table definition...
    As you can see a datafile alone is useless.

dba_data_files

loggin to the database as an user with DBA privs and query the table dba_data_files.

This will give u the locations of your databasefiles.

Another method:
    backup control files to trace

A create control statement will be placed in your trace directory (ref to your init<SID>.ora

Sorry but i am completely new to Oracle and i know a few things about it.

From what i have understood, the tablespaces files consists of the schema, judging by the Mysql and .sql files.

ie CREATE TABLE ....