Thread: can't import text file fixed length

can't import text file fixed length

Will be getting new file for download from vendor to process in future. When I use DTS or Import wizard in sql server I get "could not find the selected row delimiter within the first 8kb of data, is the selected delimited valid? This is for a fixed length file. If I answer yes and continue everything is fine, until I get to the end of the record which it can't find. It basically lumps the records together. What is interesting, that if I import the same file in Access 2000, I don't get this problem. ANyone seen this before? Could not find anything on MSDN

You may have to find out what's row delimiter used in the file and make change in dts.

Another reason for this behaviour might be that your records in the flat file are variable length, e.g. the last field is not padded with spaces and / or the last field is omitted.
    This is a known issue in DTS Import. You can work around this by importing the file as single field CSV and pump it back into flat file fixed format with spaces padded to the end of each record