Thread: SQL2000 maintenance question

Question SQL2000 maintenance question

I`m using the SQL maintenance option in SQL Enterprise Manager which works fine most of the time.

However lately my diskspace is starting to run out on the disk that stores the backups.
    Now I know that every backup older then 4 days get`s deleted, However does anyone know if this happens AFTER the backup or BEFORE... and if it`s after is there a way that I can set it to delete the old backup files before it makes the new backup?

Never thought about it. You can run the maintenance plan during work hour and check that.

But if you are so close to getting disk full, why don't you save backup for just 2 or 3 days. If your data files are also in the same disk then you may run out of disk when data file tries to extend.

well that`s the problem. It`s not up to me to set it back too 3 days.
    It is a seperate disk, just not super large.

that`s why it would be nice to let it delete the old backup files before it makes the new ones.

If you use maintenance plans the deletion of old backups will happen after the backups have finished.
    This is good practice because you want to be sure that your backups are done before you drop the last availaable backup, won't you? :-)

But if you have a look at the Job Command SQL generates from Maintenance plans you might learn how to set up your backup manually using DBCC. Actually the deletion of old backup files is a parameter to DBCC when executing a maintenance plan.
    Maybe you have a look at DBCC options in BOL and write your own job which does what you require