Thread: SQL Server: Bulk Insert Task Errors

Talking Bulk Insert Task Errors

Hello Experts,

I am dire need of help, hopefully you can provide some insight. I am involved with importing large amounts of data from text files to SQL Server. Formerly I have been performing this function manually via DTS > Import Data... and using the wizard. I understand that this may be the least efficient way of importing data and that Bulk Insert may be a more friendly option. The DTS Designer is easy to use and I am able to select my source and my destination, however I cannot get the task to execute. There has been many reasons for errors. Below are a few of my error messages:

"Unexpected End-of-File (EOF)"

"Column is too long...make sure field terminator and row terminator are specified correctly"

I realize that it may relate to the data I have, however when I import using the DTS wizard, I don't receive the error messages.

If someone may provide some light on the world of Bulk Insert it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What type of field terminator are there in the data files?

Try to run it by specifying the field and row terminators explicitly in BULK INSERT statement.

Row terminators and excluding columns

thanks so much for the reply. explicitly stating the end of the file does help.

a similar problem i am having is that a set of large data files i have to import has the last column filled w/ blank spaces. therefore my scheduled bulk inserts error out due to the fact the column length is too long. i don't need the last row so how do i explicitly give a row terminator or omit the last column. the file i am dealing w/ are 100 -300 MB so it would be difficult and time consuming to open up and delete the spaces.

any light you can shine on this subject would be so helpful. thanks.