Thread: Installing mysql when distrubuted with an application

Installing mysql when distrubuted with an application

I would like to have mysql install during the setup of my application, so I guess the first step will be determining which binaries are required for MySQL server to run? I can't see this being very difficult to figure out, but if you know any places that would this process easy easy...please let me know. Secondly...If I don't use the MYSQL installer, can I programatically create the tables required by MySQL by calling an API (Connector C++ )or something? I ask this, because all i really want to do is copy the required binary files into a directory like c:\myapp\mysql and then call the server once loaded with an INSERT to create the auth tables or whatever the required tables are...then create my own tables.

Does it sound like i'm on the right track here?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Packaging MySQL with finished product...

Things to consider when installing MySQL with packaged product:

Will end user decide on anything about the installation (directory for example)?

Is it legal under the MySQL license (is this for commercial or non-open source use)?

Steps:

Packaging MySQL:
    Easiest solution would be to instruct the user to install MySQL before hand, and a disclaimer that they are responsible for the licensing of MySQL. Then instruct the user to supply your install program with the hostname, port, username, & password (if they have an existing MySQL database available).
    This is a consideration because
    a) You are relieved of the licensing issue (I think, don't quote me on this) because you are not installing it, they are.
    b) You don't have to program a controller to control the MySQL installation prompts.

Other ways:
    Run MySQL setup from your program.
    Start MySQL.
    Two ways to set up data structure:
    1) Log in via localhostort and perform actions on your own.
    2) Run your scripts through the command line SQL execution engine from a single or series of .sql files.

This of course would be different on Unix, because you could simply do a makefile script to compile, install, prepare MySQL. No API, no package, no mess, no fuss... Just tar, gzip, a makefile and some creativity.