Thread: trigger commits

Hybrid View

trigger commits

Hi,

I have a Insert,Update trigger on a table called TBL_TEST . I am doing inserts in 4 tables inside the trigger. But if any one of these insert fails I want to keep the changes made in any previous table but rollback the insert / update made on TBL_TEST.

When I encounter an error and issues rollback its rolling back all the inserts. Even though I am using exclusive begin tran - Commit Tran for every insert statement.

Whats going wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

jfkuser

You can use save transcations after each insert statemnest and also trap the error using @@error after each insert statement. In this way you can know which insert failed and cal rollback till that point and commit the rest.

This also commits changes made in the original table TBL_TEST. I want to rollback any inserts / updates on TBL_TEST if any of the other 4 table inserts fail.

But lets say if it fails on insert of 3rd table, I want to commit inserts made on last 2 tables and rollback insert/update on TBL_TEST. If I use save tran it commits changes made in TBL_TEST too.

---jfk