Thread: MSDE Database to MYSQL Database

MSDE Database to MYSQL Database

Hello,

I am new to this..

I want to take data from an MS SQL (MSDE on Win XP) to a Linux MYSQL Database.

I have the two working on the same network. I use datastudio to access the MS SQL Server and I use mysqlcc to access my Linux Mysql server. From the Linux box (Red Hat 8.0).

Or I would love to be able to syc up both.

How can I do any of this?

Thanks,

Bret

Cool

I found this here:

One other suggestion that may be a bit easier. Install MySQL on the windows machine, and install MyODBC as well. Setup a DSN for your MySQL database. You can then right click on the MS SQL database in Enterprise Manager, and click export. Select the DSN you just setup and it will copy the entire database at once to mysql.

Once you have it in mysql, you can just do:

mysqldump database > file

Copy that file to the new server and load it in.

mysql database < file
    I have no experience in MS SQL, so I can't say it would help. You could also try Google where I did this search...

It's also where I found the above qoute.

Cheers

That won't work because...

MSDE = Microsoft's Slim Database Engine

MSDE does not include ANY visual support tools, for two reasons...
    1) Obviously M$ would not want to go giving away a pretty good SQL server that does transactions, stored procedures, functions, views, triggers, & more (especially when SQL Server 2000 can cost you in the 10,000 and up [just count on 20,000 for the unrestricted server that is not based on CAL's processor count] ).
    2) You should have a development tool that would be able to function as your simple db development suite.

That being said...if you have Visual Studio .NET, then you should be able to do the following:
    Install the MySQL ODBC Driver
    Setup a connection to the MySQL database in your System Data Sources
    Go into Visual Studio
    {NOTE: YOU CANNOT CREATE TABLES IN MYSQL THROUGH THIS METHOD]
    Connect to the Data Source
    Open your MSDE instance tables
    as long as the table cols and data type match up, you should be able to copy and paste rows.

This should be similar if Access were used. One window open to a database linked to the MySQL through ODBC and one linked into MSDE. And though Access you should be able to create and alter tables too.