Thread: SQL Server Service hangs then auto restarts later

Hybrid View

Question SQL Server Service hangs then auto restarts later

Has anyone seen this kind of error message? I pulled it from the SQL Server Logs. In this occurance the error occurs at 1:18am, my jobs begin to fail thereafter, and then the SQL Server Services auto restarts at 3:14am.

2003-01-24 01:18:00.15 server Error: 17882, Severity: 18, State: 1
    2003-01-24 01:18:00.15 server Error accepting connection request via Net-Library 'SSNETLIB'. Execution continuing..
    2003-01-24 01:18:00.15 server Error: 17059, Severity: 18, State: 0
    2003-01-24 01:18:00.15 server Operating system error 1: Incorrect function...

I presume that the SQL Service and/or Server Agent becomes disfunctional, then the SQL Server Service restarts itself and everything is fine again. Once the SQL Server Service comes back up I get notifications that jobs failed, between the time from the error to the restart, and then I can restart the any failed jobs just fine. Also, during that time NetIQ does not think the SQL Service is down so it does not send out any Service outage notifications.

Another tid bit of info is that this server is dedicated to SQL Server 2000 Enterprise and has 5GB of memory with AWE enabled.

I think it could possibly be a memory leak but am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Any related message in windows event view or sql server log?

Cool

I recommend you to apply latest service pack for windows and immedietly apply sql server service packs.

if you has set priority boost option for sql server, turn it off.

There are some browsing messages around the same time in the Windows 2000 Server Event Logs, see below, but no other messages in the SQL Server Log except as indicated originally.

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2195F8BB-5FA7-40E6-9167-FF9FEBF0E56E}. The data is the error code.

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{2195F8BB-5FA7-40E6-9167-FF9FEBF0E56E}.
    The backup browser is stopping.

But the Windows 2000 box doesnt bounce.

Boost SQL Server priority on Window is activated on one of the SQL Servers, of course the most important one, that is pulling this stunt but not the other.

We did replace the executables when we applied the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Security Hotfix Update 8.00.0686 a week or so ago and this event has not occurred since then. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for your help, this is my first time using this forum and your prompt replies are greatly appreciated.

Did stack dump happen on sql before restarting?

Unhappy

It unfortunatly didn't generate a dmp file immediately before, during or after this occured.