Thread: Tornado and Visual Studio .NET

Question Tornado and Visual Studio .NET

I there a way of adding tornado to the toolbox so I can visually add it to web forms? drop it inside panels? ...

This thought did come across but not considered because Tornado really starts after the regular data is defined which is what most of other components do. Plus the requirement of VS to build a Web DB interface increases the cost of development a lot. Yesterday was VB6 and today is VS.Net and tomorrow will be more exotic. Tornado (ASPdb.Net) has not changed - it was Notepad yesterday and Notepad today. It was firehost yesterday and datareader today for maximum speed. For IT staff of big companies and also those of us who love to play with the technology, we enjoy the VS.Net a lot. But it is really not cost effective to change middleware every year. So I decided to shield all the cumbersome work from the users and the goal is to put more time and $$ in their pocket.

This is my thought - but just curious, you probably what Tornado can do that VS cannot. What are some of the tricks that you find VS can do that Tornado cannot in the context of Cost x Time / performance ?

The one article in a DotNet Newsletter site that tried to duplicate my 25 lines grid sort example #16 less the skin, navigation, filter and edit etc... Has 300+ C# lines.

Visual Studio

I thought that I could just try and not use the Visual Studio IDE but after a week or so of investigation, all of our .NET projects are using Visual Studio web forms. I have been successful in placing the object calls in my VS projects, only it writes to the web page (out of place) and not into my user controls or other objects. Do you have any suggestions on how to wrap up the output of Tornado and redirect it to one of my areas.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Les Taylor

>>...one of my areas

Please define "your area".

For now, Tornado can output a DS so you can use Web Form data grid control. Put together an example and we'll take a look.

FK

here is the image, it was too big befor
    Attached Images Attached Images

could not see too well - Image too small. Do you mean you just want to control where the output of Tornado go ? Use the Layer code (TED). ALl Tornado output can be in one variable.

I will give it a try,

Thanks

OK.. let me know how it goes.

FK

I did get the data by binding into a datagrid by following your example.

I looked through TED but could not find any reference to "Layer Code" as in your last post. Can you name the property that the Tornado output can be in one variable.

Thanks Again

In TED hit F10 and then under Misc -- Temp -- you'll see 'Layer'. It is just hte DHTML code to position a block of code (Tornado code) in "your" area.

FK