dcsimg
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AddLinked Server (Exchange) from SQL Server

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6

    Question AddLinked Server (Exchange) from SQL Server

    The syntax I am using is...



    EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'exchange',
    'Exchange OLE DB provider',
    'exoledb.DataSource.1',
    'file:\\ServerMachine\M\ExchangeServer.LOCAL\PUBLI C FOLDERS\backofficestorage\localhost\public folders'

    Where the name of the machine is "ServerMachine".

    The name of the domain, or Exchange Server is "ExchangeServer"

    The path listed is a valid network path, and it is being executed as an Enterprise Administrator.

    The problem is, when attempting to conntct, I get the error message...
    "Error 7304: Could not create a new session on OLE DB Provider exoledb.datasource.1"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    181
    James,
    I believe the Exchange server and the SQL server have to be on the same box.

    See 'OLE DB Provider for Exchange' in BOL for details.

    Jeff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    They are on the same box...???

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    181
    When you said you were using a unc path I thought you were pointing to a different machine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    I use the full path because I was initially testing from another machine, I also tested from the server that is running both services. I also tried several variations of the path. I was told by an friend that they don't need to be on the same box, but I did read that they did. Anyway, do you have any suggestions??

    Thanks James

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    181
    James,
    I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but substitute your e-mail domain for 'localhost' in your string:

    'backofficestorage\yourdomain.com\public folders'


    Jeff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    There is no DNS to this server, it is not an email server, and the domain name will not resolve to it. It is on a LAN and not on the internet. Also, Back office is not installed on it. Exchange is only being used for contact management and calendering with Active Directory. I have ruled out the possibility of it being permissions, I mapped permissions with sp_addlinkedsrvlogin and verified through testing.

    Here is the actual connection string I am trying with right now...

    EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'exchange', 'Exchange OLE DB provider', 'exoledb.DataSource.1', 'file:\\Skindisease\M\DERMFOUNDATION.LOCAL\PUBLIC FOLDERS'

    I know that the first parameter is correct, and that the third parameter is correct (or so I think) what I think is incorrect (my guess) is the path in the "file:\\..." there is not much documentation avaliable about this. I tried using a "LDAP://" string as I found some references to this, but no sucess. I am open to accessing this info from Active Directory if that is any easier?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    I got the connection to Exchange to work. I was correct about the part of the query that was in error. the path must be "file:\\.\backofficestorage\" + the fully qualified domain name (servername.domain.com, in this case Dermfoundation.local) +"\public folders". I don't know why this string started working now, when it didn't work before, but now I can see the tables (folders) in "public folders". Now I am getting a different error message when trying to query the Contacts table (folder), "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] An error occured while prepairing a query for execution against OLE DB Provider 'Exoledb.datasource.1'".

    The query string is ...
    SELECT Convert(nvarchar(30), "urn:schemas:contacts:sn") LastName
    FROM OpenQuery(Exchange, 'SELECT "urn:schemas:contacts:sn"
    FROM ".\Contact"')

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6
    After I posted my last reply, I saw the error in my query, the last reference to the table was "Contact" and should have been "Contacts". It works now....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •