Thread: error on attach db

error on attach db

I get this error when i try to attach a db to a sql server:

The header for file d:\mssql\data\dbname.mdf is not a valid database file header. the page audit property is incorrect.

What's sql version on the server? What's sql version of the file? You can't attach sql2k db file to sql7.

the version of the file and the server is sql 7.

In addition, you might check compatible service pack levels. Is this a system db? 7.0 Sp3 modified the system tables pretty well...

Jeff

no this db was created by a user.

I would make sure the source and destination machines are at the same SP. If so, then you might run dbcc checkdb on the database before it is detached to make sure it is clean.

Jeff

Better to backup/restore db.

can't do restore b/c there weren't any backups and can't run dbcc on source db because it was dettached awhile ago and the sql server that the db was previously on no longer exists. All I have is the .mdf and .ldf files.

Sounds like you're stuck. Start with a base 7.0 install on a test machine and keep moving up in service packs until it succeeds. I would still suspect they might be sql 2000 files. You might try that on a test 2k box if you have one.

Jeff

Refer KB article Q268481 for the issue.

Re: error on attach db

I just had this problem yesterday while trying to upgrade SQL7 to 2000.

Our solution was to attach the database to an SQL2000 server, then DTS back to SQL7. You might not have a SQL 2000 server "lying" around...

I have recently experienced exactly the same problem. I have a copy of the db files from another server(still running). Get the same error when trying to reattach the files on my own SQLServer7. If I find out anything about this I will let you know.

-Arthur

Thumbs up

Hi.

In my case it seems that it is db files from an SQLServer2000, and I then get this error when trying to sp_attach them to my SQLServer7. I have just now installed SQLServer2000 on a test computer and could then sp_attach the db files with no error.

I've not been able to reach the sender of the db files today so I'm not sure if they actually have an SQLServer2000, but I asume so.

-Arthur

Hi.
    In my case the problem occured because the the db-files that I had recieved and tried to attach on my SQLServer7 was originally from an SQLServer2000.

-Arthur