Thread: Replication Help - Problem restoring replicated database

Question Replication Help - Problem restoring replicated database

I'm a novice with replication and am in need of direction on how to restore replicated databases. Server A replicates 5 databases to server B using transactional replication. Server A also contains the distribution database. I'm perfoming PUSH replication.

The development area asked me to restore Server A with a copy of production data located on server C. After I restored the data from C to A, I noticed that server A was no longer published. Is this normal?

I re-published the 5 databases, but noticed that the Log Reader Agent has now been running for 2 hours. I'm trying to give myself a crash course in replication, but am coming up empty regarding (1) the prefered method for restoring replicated databases and (2) determining why the Log Reader Agent is taking so long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

1. Try copy data with dts so keep system tables unaffetced.

2. Log reader should run all the time.

I'm not sure I understand. I have 5 databases with several gig of data. Are you suggesting bulk-copy of each table? That would take several hours plus I would have to script out the dropping and recreating of indexes.

Dave

Or remove publication, restore db and create publication again.

I have already tried re-adding the publication. I believe I am missing a step. Do I need to run "Sync With Backup" in order for the replication agent tasks to work properly? I'm assuming I need to do something for the initial sync of data. I restored the publisher's databases, but I didn't restore the subscriber's databases. Perhaps I should have restored both the subscriber and publisher databases prior to publishing the databases?

Thanks again, Dave

You can resync them with snapshot agent.

Unhappy

Well at least I know I was on the right track. Unfortunately I tried that already and it didn't work. I decided to remove replication thinking that something may be corrupt. After replication was uninstalled, the subscriber db was still listing 5 subscriptions in Enterprise Manager. I'm not sure how this is possible since the distribution database doesn't exist and the uninstall removed the replication system tables such as syssubscribers.

Dave

Did you refresh the display?

I closed and re-opened Enterprise Manager, but no luck. I'm not sure where EM is looking to get the subscription information.

Dave