Thread: SQL-Server2000 Enterprise Manager NOT working

Lightbulb SQL-Server2000 Enterprise Manager NOT working

T0 learn SQL-Server 2000 DBA track, I recently installed WIN-2000Pro. and then SQL-Server 2000.
    After few days of Practice when I tried to launch Enterprise Manager Program; it is NOW giving me an error message 'MMC can NOT open the File'. The other Programs like Query Analyzer, Profiler are working. I log into Windows as Administrator as before.

Such an error had also croped up after my first attempt of SQL-Server 2000. At that time I reformatted the Partition, reinstalled both Windows-2000Pro. and SQL_Server2000.Worked for a few days and then the same error message for Enterprise Manger:'MMC can NOT open the File'.
    Please HELP a newbie??
    Thks-DBer.
    PS: I am able to start Enterprise Manager via Profiler-Tools-EM, but NOT from Program Files as I used to before??

Ensure the icon still points to correct mmc add-in file of em.

Lightbulb SQL-Server Ent.Mgr.

Thank u for the quick response.
    As I am a Newbie, please explain the Process for rectifying/fixing the error step by step.
    Thks again.
    DB

Ensure you still have file 'sql server enterprise manager.msc' in \microsoft sql server\80\tools\binn directory, and the enterprise manager icon in microsoft sql server folder is still point to this file.

Lightbulb

11/8/02
    Thanks again for the continued help.
    Per your suugestion here is what I did.

clicked- Program Files-selected Enterprise Mnager-Left click-select Properties
    This is what it shows:
    Target: D:\WINNT\system32\mmc.exe /s "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC"
    Start in :"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN"

Seems like it pointing to the Dir/File u have indicated!!
    May be I need to CHANGE Target path??
    If so what should be the Path??

PLEASE GUIDE me.

Thanks again-Prashant.