Thread: future of aspdb

Billy Guest

future of aspdb

With Microsoft moving to xml and asp+, what about the future for aspdb? Is there a plan to move to something based on xml and asp+ (maybe called aspdb+) ? Anyone who knows about this to share some insight with us would be appreciated.

Frank Kwong Guest

future of aspdb (reply)

Good question -
    I was invited to MS campus to preview the ASP+ in July. A lot of excitment and a lot of concern. All can be summarized as follows -

* Microsoft's present legal situation is not helping them to keep their focus.
    * ASP+ is heavy stuff. If needs a lot of time to become mature.
    * ASP+ is not just another scripting language. It works with a brand new structure.
    * Pretty much all ASP code has to be re-written. Session variables cannot be shared between old and new. You have to have a very good reason to do that.
    * It'll take some effort just to re-complie the old component stuff under VS7.
    * MS is putting all the eggs in IE like the personal tier ? I was in Asia doing some development and I found out that there are practically no Microsoft's Internet foot print in Asia. All Unix. Microsoft is there selling MS Office only.
    * IIS has 25% of the entire server pie. Looks like ASP+ is either going to take them up to 50% or take it down to 10%.
    * ASP or ASP+, still need some functional components like ASP-db to do the job.
    * XML? As soon as it shows some common and tangible benefits. ASP-db will support that.

All the latest features offered by ASP-db will not be found in ASP+. Dynamic List, Regular Expression Java Validator is ready to go and a few coming up like Super Calendar and Super Upload !! When ASP+ is ready , ASP-db will be ready for it. Meanwhile, there are major effort to prepare for a JSP-db.

Hope this gives you some idea in what is going on here.

Frank

------------
    Billy at 11/30/00 5:58:21 PM

With Microsoft moving to xml and asp+, what about the future for aspdb? Is there a plan to move to something based on xml and asp+ (maybe called aspdb+) ? Anyone who knows about this to share some insight with us would be appreciated.