Thread: ODBC Drivers error 80004005

Tim Guest

ODBC Drivers error 80004005

Hello all!

Here's the deal. My website is shared hosting on Innerhost.com - I'm quite sure it's NT 4.0 and IIS 4. My pages are grabbing data from an Access database using aspdb-pro through dsn. Everything works fine...most of the time, but occasionally, my users get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

Once the error occurs, it seems that I cannot access any database on my server through ASP (I imagine it's probably not even an aspdb problem, but aspdb's all I use so I wouldn't know). The system always seems to fix itself after a while. I have no idea what the problem could be.

I've dropped an email to innerhost support, but thought I'd consult with the aspdb experts and your infinate knowledge - you've been VERY helpful in the past! Thanks!!

Frank Kwong Guest

ODBC Drivers error 80004005 (reply)

Possible cause -

* Too many users writing to the Access DB. Magic number is about 15.
    * Webmaster is working on Access. In order to do that they have to turn Access off.

Overall, Access is not a production quality DB UNLESS IT IS READ ONLY and very few writes. I have seen 500,000 records Access running in RO mode very well. But when you start writing to it, you should goto MS-SQL. If MS-SQL or Oracle is too expensive for you then wait for our MySQL support later on !!!

FK

------------
    Tim at 9/28/00 10:45:49 PM

Hello all!

Here's the deal. My website is shared hosting on Innerhost.com - I'm quite sure it's NT 4.0 and IIS 4. My pages are grabbing data from an Access database using aspdb-pro through dsn. Everything works fine...most of the time, but occasionally, my users get the following error:

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

Once the error occurs, it seems that I cannot access any database on my server through ASP (I imagine it's probably not even an aspdb problem, but aspdb's all I use so I wouldn't know). The system always seems to fix itself after a while. I have no idea what the problem could be.

I've dropped an email to innerhost support, but thought I'd consult with the aspdb experts and your infinate knowledge - you've been VERY helpful in the past! Thanks!!

Tim Guest

Thanks Frank for your response. I agree 100% about Access not being a production database, and I have plans to upgrade in the future to SQL Server (probably the "nearer" future now)...

However, one thing to note - I'm only getting about 100 sessions/day on my website at the current time, and the users are making very basic query requests (obviously I plan to grow - but I just figured that Access should have been able to handle it until I at least got up in the thousands or so). And there are no updates or writes happening, all of the information is read only by the users. (Even if I perform administrative updates I currently just upload an entire new database about once a week).

Question... is there a setting to set everything to "read only" mode? Surely one would think that Access could handle the minimal amount of traffic I have at the moment???

One more thing - a big Kudos to the entire aspdb team. Let me tell you, without your product I wouldn't even have my website live yet...and probably would have spent the next 4 months learning to code not even half of what my website is capable of with aspdb. You guys are great...and even more appreciative is your feedback and help on the message boards! I'm no programmer by any means, but I'm a quick learner, and the help you've provided (I've made various posts in the past) has won my loyalty as a customer - when I get just a little bigger so I can afford hosting my own site, trust me - your component will be the first on my list! Thanks! --Tim

------------
    Frank Kwong at 9/29/00 12:57:00 AM

Possible cause -

* Webmaster is working on Access. In order to do that they have to turn Access off.

Overall, Access is not a production quality DB UNLESS IT IS READ ONLY and very few writes. I have seen 500,000 records Access running in RO mode very well. But when you start writing to it, you should goto MS-SQL. If MS-SQL or Oracle is too expensive for you then wait for our MySQL support later on !!!

FK

------------

Hello all!

Yes, I've managed to solve the problem. Per Frank's earlier suggestions, I upgraded from MS-Access to SQL Server over a month ago, and have not had the error happen since then.

There's probably another solution out there that might fix it, but I'm happy with the SQL Server upgrade - and everything seems to be working flawlessly now.

Hope this helps.
    Tim.

------------
    Billy at 11/30/00 11:26:03 AM

Tim,

Have solved your problem yet? I have the same problem and it doesn't fit any of the situation Frank described. Please post your solution if any. Thanks.

------------
    Tim at 9/29/00 3:24:06 AM

Thanks Frank for your response. I agree 100% about Access not being a production database, and I have plans to upgrade in the future to SQL Server (probably the "nearer" future now)...

However, one thing to note - I'm only getting about 100 sessions/day on my website at the current time, and the users are making very basic query requests (obviously I plan to grow - but I just figured that Access should have been able to handle it until I at least got up in the thousands or so). And there are no updates or writes happening, all of the information is read only by the users. (Even if I perform administrative updates I currently just upload an entire new database about once a week).

Question... is there a setting to set everything to "read only" mode? Surely one would think that Access could handle the minimal amount of traffic I have at the moment???

One more thing - a big Kudos to the entire aspdb team. Let me tell you, without your product I wouldn't even have my website live yet...and probably would have spent the next 4 months learning to code not even half of what my website is capable of with aspdb. You guys are great...and even more appreciative is your feedback and help on the message boards! I'm no programmer by any means, but I'm a quick learner, and the help you've provided (I've made various posts in the past) has won my loyalty as a customer - when I get just a little bigger so I can afford hosting my own site, trust me - your component will be the first on my list! Thanks! --Tim

------------

Possible cause -

FK

------------

Hello all!

Billy Guest

Thanks for your reply. It seems like a problem between different versions of ODBC drivers and MS-Access. I upgraded my Access from 97 to 2000, it works again.

------------
    at 11/30/00 2:40:02 PM

Yes, I've managed to solve the problem. Per Frank's earlier suggestions, I upgraded from MS-Access to SQL Server over a month ago, and have not had the error happen since then.

There's probably another solution out there that might fix it, but I'm happy with the SQL Server upgrade - and everything seems to be working flawlessly now.

Hope this helps.
    Tim.

------------
    Billy at 11/30/00 11:26:03 AM

Tim,

Have solved your problem yet? I have the same problem and it doesn't fit any of the situation Frank described. Please post your solution if any. Thanks.

------------
    Tim at 9/29/00 3:24:06 AM

------------

Possible cause -

FK

------------

Hello all!