Thread: aspDB passing variables to SQL problems

Bob Cummings Guest

aspDB passing variables to SQL problems

I have downloaded the aspDB free component and intended to recommend to my manager that we buy the Pro version when I return to work - I am very impressed.

I have a problem that you may be able to solve. I am passing a parameter from a previous link to form part of my dbSQL string like this:

<% @LANGUAGE=&#34;VBSCRIPT&#34; %>
    <%param=Request.QueryString(&#34;param&#34%>

I build the sql like this:

sql=&#34;SELECT * FROM tblStudentInfo &#34;
    sql=sql & &#34;WHERE [&#34; & cstr(Param) & &#34;] = &#34; & &#34;&#39;&#34; & criteria & &#34;&#39;&#34;%>

Mydb.dbSQL=sql

This displays the first grid page fine but when I click next, the criteria value is empty, I get an error msg and no more records are displayed.

Can anyone help?

Bob Cummings

Mark Guest

aspDB passing variables to SQL problems (reply)

Bob,

This is a common problem. You MUST save the passed values in session variables, otherwise they will be null on subsequent displays. There is a very good programming example of how (and when) to do this. Notice the need to do a dbReset also. See Programming Example D5a at http://www.aspdb.com

Mark.

------------
    Bob Cummings at 1/2/00 7:38:26 AM

I have downloaded the aspDB free component and intended to recommend to my manager that we buy the Pro version when I return to work - I am very impressed.

I have a problem that you may be able to solve. I am passing a parameter from a previous link to form part of my dbSQL string like this:

<% @LANGUAGE=&#34;VBSCRIPT&#34; %>
    <%param=Request.QueryString(&#34;param&#34%>

I build the sql like this:

sql=&#34;SELECT * FROM tblStudentInfo &#34;
    sql=sql & &#34;WHERE [&#34; & cstr(Param) & &#34;] = &#34; & &#34;&#39;&#34; & criteria & &#34;&#39;&#34;%>

Mydb.dbSQL=sql

This displays the first grid page fine but when I click next, the criteria value is empty, I get an error msg and no more records are displayed.

Can anyone help?

Bob Cummings