Thread: AspDb and international decimal delimiters

Martin Jocic Guest

AspDb and international decimal delimiters

Hi. In Sweden (where I come from) we use comma as decimal symbol (and no digit grouping symbol). This doesn't seem to work completely well with AspDb.

The following applies:

- My computer is set up to use Swedish number format
    - I use Access 2000
    - I have a table with a numeric field of type Single (floating numbers).
    - The number is displayed correctly (with a comma) in all modes (grid, form and edit)
    - When I try to add/update with Swedish number format, I get database errors (update=Syntax error in UPDATE statement add=Number of query values and destination fields are not the same). My guess is that the extra comma is the reason for this.
    - When I try to add/update with US number format, it works.
    - I can update with Swedish number format in Access and other programs.

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic

FK Guest

AspDb and international decimal delimiters (reply)

Martin,

Can you post the two SQL statements and also post the Swedish version of the SQL that works.

Frank

------------
    Martin Jocic at 8/31/99 4:03:45 PM

Hi. In Sweden (where I come from) we use comma as decimal symbol (and no digit grouping symbol). This doesn't seem to work completely well with AspDb.

The following applies:

- I use Access 2000
    - The number is displayed correctly (with a comma) in all modes (grid, form and edit)
    - When I try to add/update with Swedish number format, I get database errors (update=Syntax error in UPDATE statement add=Number of query values and destination fields are not the same). My guess is that the extra comma is the reason for this.

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic

Martin Jocic Guest

Frank,

In a SQL statement, only US number formats are allowed (just as with dates). I guess the problem is that you just take the content of the HTML form's numeric field and use it directly to build the SQL INSERT/UPDATE query. Instead you have to convert the "foreign" number to US format and then use the converted value in the SQL query

Martin

------------
    FK at 8/31/99 8:46:37 PM

Martin,

Can you post the two SQL statements and also post the Swedish version of the SQL that works.

Frank

------------

The following applies:

- I use Access 2000

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic

FK Guest

Can you give example code just to be sure. Show me a valid SQL consist of numeric delimiter and field delimiter.

------------
    Martin Jocic at 9/1/99 8:52:04 AM

Frank,

In a SQL statement, only US number formats are allowed (just as with dates). I guess the problem is that you just take the content of the HTML form's numeric field and use it directly to build the SQL INSERT/UPDATE query. Instead you have to convert the "foreign" number to US format and then use the converted value in the SQL query

Martin

------------

Martin,

Frank

------------

The following applies:

- I use Access 2000

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic

Martin Jocic Guest

OK.

This example uses a table Test which has a single Field of type Single called FloatNum.

These queries won't work because they use Swedish number format (1,5):
    INSERT INTO Test (FloatNum) VALUES (1,5)
    UPDATE Test SET FloatNum = 2,5

These queries will work because they use US number format (1.5):
    INSERT INTO Test (FloatNum) VALUES (1.5)
    UPDATE Test SET FloatNum = 2.5

If you need more info/help, please let me know.

Martin
    martin.jocic@ivf.se

P.S. Please send me an e-mail when you add a reply.
    The auto-notification by e-mail on this site does not work.

------------
    FK at 9/1/99 9:38:59 AM

Can you give example code just to be sure. Show me a valid SQL consist of numeric delimiter and field delimiter.

------------

Frank,

Martin

------------

Martin,

Frank

------------

The following applies:

- I use Access 2000

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic

FK Guest

Done ! dbOptions="Localdecimal=,"
    wait for next release.

FK

------------
    Martin Jocic at 9/1/99 10:56:38 AM

OK.

This example uses a table Test which has a single Field of type Single called FloatNum.

These queries won't work because they use Swedish number format (1,5):
    INSERT INTO Test (FloatNum) VALUES (1,5)
    UPDATE Test SET FloatNum = 2,5

These queries will work because they use US number format (1.5):
    INSERT INTO Test (FloatNum) VALUES (1.5)
    UPDATE Test SET FloatNum = 2.5

If you need more info/help, please let me know.

Martin
    martin.jocic@ivf.se

P.S. Please send me an e-mail when you add a reply.
    The auto-notification by e-mail on this site does not work.

------------
    FK at 9/1/99 9:38:59 AM

------------

Frank,

Martin

------------

Martin,

Frank

------------

The following applies:

- I use Access 2000

Please look into this.

Martin Jocic