Thread: dllhost.exe and inetinfo.exe Page Faults and PF Delta for ASPdb

Ted Moore Guest

dllhost.exe and inetinfo.exe Page Faults and PF Delta for ASPdb

Dear Forum,

We are still trying to troubleshoot this boggin down problem on our new dedicated server. As you may recall, after we re-boot the system, our sites run fine for a while, then bog down tremendously after several hours to several days.

I added Page Faults and PF Delta to the Task Manager and monitored what happens when I open pages with ASPdb. On each page opening, we see 300 to 1,200 hits on the PF Delta for dllhost.exe. Totals for Page Faults on dllhost.exe since rebooting yesterday are almost ten million. We also are seeing significant (but far fewer) page faults for inetinfo.exe.

As a side note, for a specific web site, we have to run processes in Medium (pooled) mode or it bogs down very quickly.

Can you shed any light on this situation?
    Thanks in advance - Ted Moore

Ted Moore Guest

dllhost.exe and inetinfo.exe Page Faults and PF Delta for ASPdb (reply)

Here is more info - The server is Windows 2000 with 512MB Ram.

Server Software: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
    Server Protocol: HTTP/1.1
    VBScript Engine: 5.1.5010
    ASPdb Pro Version: 6.2916 - Pro
    ASPdb Universal Version: ASPDB2001.02.21.SP3.ADO21.MTS.Std

Hope this helps. Ted

------------
    Ted Moore at 4/13/01 12:28:14 PM

Dear Forum,

We are still trying to troubleshoot this boggin down problem on our new dedicated server. As you may recall, after we re-boot the system, our sites run fine for a while, then bog down tremendously after several hours to several days.

I added Page Faults and PF Delta to the Task Manager and monitored what happens when I open pages with ASPdb. On each page opening, we see 300 to 1,200 hits on the PF Delta for dllhost.exe. Totals for Page Faults on dllhost.exe since rebooting yesterday are almost ten million. We also are seeing significant (but far fewer) page faults for inetinfo.exe.

As a side note, for a specific web site, we have to run processes in Medium (pooled) mode or it bogs down very quickly.

Frank Kwong Guest

what is your traffic volume ? My ASP-db site have not have any reboot at all. Some very heavy MS-WAS tests done by some customers results in slow response between lciks but no crash.

------------
    Ted Moore at 4/13/01 12:36:04 PM

Hope this helps. Ted

------------

Dear Forum,

Ted Moore Guest

Dear Frank and others,

We have several Access ODBCs on the busiest site (www.heminet.com). We see about 3,000 sessions per day, with up to 250 sessions per hour, and up to 75 concurrent sessions. Hits are 50,000 per day and bandwidth is 500MB per day.

We recently split up several of the databases (in an attempt to improve performance) so that each one would have fewer concurrent calls.

Another possibility? We recently replaced the older Universal version with the 2001 version update. It appeared to me that there was a left over component piece. Currently, our component (for ASPdbPro and ASPdb) list shows ASP.db, ASP.Dlist, ASP.EQVar, ASP.ListState, and ASPdbPro.

I am wondering if I should remove all ASPdb Components and re-install?
    We are trying to eliminate the ASPdbPro pages on our sites, but for many of them we do not have authorization from our client to make the changes (nor do we have the time to change hundreds if not thousands of pages).

------------
    Frank Kwong at 4/13/01 9:34:24 PM

what is your traffic volume ? My ASP-db site have not have any reboot at all. Some very heavy MS-WAS tests done by some customers results in slow response between lciks but no crash.

------------

Hope this helps. Ted

------------

Dear Forum,

FRANK KWONG Guest

Ted,
    After I hit the submit key, I almost want to go back and add one more line...
    Are you using Access and how much editing is going on with the operation ? I then guessed you old timers already aware that Access is not that good a working horse at all. Unless it is an absolutely read only operation, you should not use Access to handle that kind of traffic. I recommend the following -

1. Switch to MS-SQL if $$, time, resource is available.
    2. Read the following to see it'll help -> http://www.learnasp.com/learn/accesstest.asp

3. Switch to MySQL (Free and Fast) if you don't need the triggers, SP, view etc...

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 4/14/01 4:55:42 PM

Dear Frank and others,

We have several Access ODBCs on the busiest site (www.heminet.com). We see about 3,000 sessions per day, with up to 250 sessions per hour, and up to 75 concurrent sessions. Hits are 50,000 per day and bandwidth is 500MB per day.

We recently split up several of the databases (in an attempt to improve performance) so that each one would have fewer concurrent calls.

Another possibility? We recently replaced the older Universal version with the 2001 version update. It appeared to me that there was a left over component piece. Currently, our component (for ASPdbPro and ASPdb) list shows ASP.db, ASP.Dlist, ASP.EQVar, ASP.ListState, and ASPdbPro.

I am wondering if I should remove all ASPdb Components and re-install?
    We are trying to eliminate the ASPdbPro pages on our sites, but for many of them we do not have authorization from our client to make the changes (nor do we have the time to change hundreds if not thousands of pages).

------------
    Frank Kwong at 4/13/01 9:34:24 PM

------------

Hope this helps. Ted

------------

Dear Forum,

Lennart Guest

I haven't read the complete history of this post, but we had problems with dllhost.exe as well, and found out that using stored procedures with ASPdb completely freezes over our machine.

Miscrosoft recognized this problem, and describes it as "INF: Enabling DLL-based com object Execution Outside SQL server" (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q198/8/91.asp)

Hopefull this helps some.

------------

Dear Forum,

Frank Kwong Guest

Interesting... are you saying then setting the ASP-db or any COM object activation as server application is "safe" with the MS-SQL SP and if set up as "library" will cause problem ?

Does this go the same with Oracle's SP ?

FK

------------
    Lennart at 4/17/01 1:18:17 PM

I haven't read the complete history of this post, but we had problems with dllhost.exe as well, and found out that using stored procedures with ASPdb completely freezes over our machine.

Miscrosoft recognized this problem, and describes it as "INF: Enabling DLL-based com object Execution Outside SQL server" (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q198/8/91.asp)

Hopefull this helps some.

------------

Dear Forum,