Thread: Multiple calls to ASPdbPro

Jim H Guest

Multiple calls to ASPdbPro

I have an asp page that I am using to display more detailed information of the record selected. To do this I am exporting the fields to Session variables, placing them on the asp page in the desired location and group, and calling "ASPdbPro", then proceeding with the next set of fields. In total I have 4 calls to "ASPdbPro" on a single page. The page works fine. As this page is for display use only I am not concerned with adding or editing records. Are their any problems with doing it this way? I am especially concerned with memory usage on a high traffic site.

Thanks, Jim H.

John Guest

Multiple calls to ASPdbPro (reply)

Hi Jim,

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Are you making 4 calls because
    you're reading 4 different sets of data (and exporting them)? Assuming that's correct, then you're fine. There's no faster or lower overhead way of doing what you're doing. If you're reading the same records and simply exporting different fields each time however, you'd be better to export all the fields once and then display them whereever you wish.

One last thing... Make sure you "SELECT field1,field2,field3..." instead of
    "SELECT *" if you can since this will come back faster and use less server memory.

Take care,
    John

On 2/10/99 11:50:02 AM, Jim H wrote:
    > I have an asp page that I am using to display more detailed information of
    > the record selected. To do this I am exporting the fields to Session
    > variables, placing them on the asp page in the desired location and group,
    > and calling "ASPdbPro", then proceeding with the next set of
    > fields. In total I have 4 calls to "ASPdbPro" on a single page. The
    > page works fine. As this page is for display use only I am not concerned
    > with adding or editing records. Are their any problems with doing it this
    > way? I am especially concerned with memory usage on a high traffic
    > site.

Thanks, Jim H.